Truck Pre-Trip Inspetion
CHECK OUTSIDE IN FRONT OF YOUR VEHICLE
(Front of Vehicle, Lights/Reflectors, Engine Compartment & Steering Components)
- Clearance lights, head lights, four-way flasher lights, signal light right and left: all body lights are clean, not broken and working properly, have proper color.
- Windshield: no cracking, no damage, no illegal stickers.
- Windshield wipers: no crack, no damage, properly attached to windshield.
- Inspection, registration up to date.
- Hood: Hood Secure.
- Grill: secure.
- Bumpier: secure.
- Plate number: secure.
- Under body: clean, no leaks oil and antifreeze.
- Engine Compartments: no leaks, all hoses and wires mounted securely, no damage, no leaks, no cut, no burn.
- Alternator: mounted securely, no crack, no damage; nuts no missing, no loosing, all wires connect it;
- Water pump: mounted securely, no leaking, no damage, all hoses is securely mounted no cuts, no leaking.
- Alternator and Water pump: One Belt driven, Belt no cut, no damage. No more than ¾ inch play
- Air compressor:
a) Gear driven,
b) Mounted securely, no damage, no leaking, all hoses are securely mounted, no cut, no damage, no leaking.
- Power steering pump:
a) Gear driven,
b) Mounted securely, no crack, no damage, no leaking, all hoses are securely mounted, no damage, no cut, no leaking.
a) Coolant reservoir: mounted securely, no crack, no damage, no leaks:
b) Antifreeze level is within safe operating range
c) Hoses are securely mounted, no cut, no damage, no leaking.
d) Coolant cup: close, secure
- Oil level is within safe operating range, Dipstick secure
a) Power steering fluid level is within safe operating range
b) Power steering fluid reservoir, mounted securely, no leaks, no crack, no damage
c) Power steering hoses, no damage, no cut, no leaks.
- Power Steering Box:
a) Securely mounted and no leaking, no damage; nuts no missing no loosing,
b) All Hoses are securely mounted and no leaking, no damage, no cut.
c) Steering Column: mounted secure, no cracked, no damage, no bend.
d) U-joints connecting: mounted secure, no damage, properly grease.
e) Pitman Arm: mounted secure, no cracked, no damage
f) Drug link: mounted secure, no cracked, no damage
g) Appear control arm: mounted secure, no cracked, no damage
j) Lower control arm: mounted secure, no cracked, no damage
k) Tie Rod: mounted secure, no cracked, no damage
l) Caste Nuts and Cotter Pins: mounted secure, no cracked, no rust, no loose.
- Windshield wipers reservoir: mounted secure, no cracked, no damage, no leaks, fluid present.
- Close Hood: Hood Secure
Steering Axle (Front Tire)
- Not recap, good condition
- Tread depth not less 4/32
- Cord: no cracked, no damage
- Properly inflated, 100 psi
- Air valve no leak
- Rim: no dents, no welding, no damage
- Nuts: no missing, no loosing, no rust
- Hub seal: no leaks
- Leaf spring: no missing, no crack, no shift.
- Hangers: no missing, no crack, no loose
- U-bolt: no missing, no crack, no loose
- Shock absorber: no leaks
- Brake chamber: no damage, no leaks
- Air hoes: no damage, no leaks
- Slack adjuster: no more than one-inch play
- Brake drum: no cracked, no damage, all bolts secure no lose, no oil on brake drums, no debris on drums;
- Brake lining: no less than ¼ inch
Bus Pre-Trip Inspetion
Pre Trip Inspection
Pre Trip Inspection is very important for CDL Truck drivers. It helps to operate vehicle and communicate with mechanics. You have to check vehicle for safety to operate it before each trip.
Especially when your vehicle’s equipped with air brakes, you will have to check them too. Air brakes might have leaks and get you problems when it breaks on the road. That’s why truck pre trip inspection checklist is a part of the CDL driving test. Each state has own regulations for the pre trip inspection sheet. For New York State you can find them on DMV website (commercial-drivers – manual in chapter 11).
Each class A, B, or C has own skills test. Depending on which class you would like to operate, so that part you must to know.
Taking the CDL pre trip you have to show examiner that vehicle safe to drive. You will have to name and explain each part of the vehicle. When you check track trailer you don’t need to crouch to do so. Since December 2018 new pre trip inspection have changed cdl pre trip.
The examiner will let you know which area you will have to inspect, so you should worry about that. However, Air Brakes will be examined in any case.
If you take CDL Class B you’ll have to inspect same things as Class A. Don’t forget that transit bus or school bus equip with special features applicant have to inspect too.